Monday, August 22, 2011

Day 40, 41, and 42 Very behind and ended up desperate for some books to read


I know that I am a bit behind in my reading but I have been catching up. Before I list the three books I read here you need a little back story. I was in Jamaica for a librarian conference. Before you start thinking how great that sounds let me tell you not so great! I was staying at the University of the West Indies, in the Caribbean style dorms. If anyone tells you the room is Caribbean style, say no! That means that there is no A/C, no fans and no screens on the doors or windows. August in Jamaica is 90 degrees and 100% humidity and tons of bugs. While I was there for a week I read all of the books I brought with me so I had to buy a book at the school bookstore and some more books at the Kingston airport. Both places had very slim pickings. So I ended up with three romance novels. I usually am a closet romance novel lover but these three were just okay.

The first was Fat Tuesday by Sandra Brown. This is a “thriller” romance. Burke Basile is a New Orleans cop who watched his partner die and the killer go free. He decides to take matters into his own hands and get justice. This includes kidnapping the wife of the mob boss/ killer. You can guess where this story is going, the wife is really a beautiful wonderful person who is trapped in an abusive marriage. Burke and the lady fall in love, plot together to bring the evil husband down and live happily ever after. It’s not a bad book, predicable and a little cheesy.

Next up is Just Like Heaven by Julia Quinn. This is a story set in Victorian England. Honoria just wants to get married. She has been out in society for two years and no husband yet. It turns out her brother’s best friend has been keeping an eye on her and scaring away any unsuitable suitors. In the end they realize that they love each other and end up living happily ever after. Again an easy read and ends the way that you think it is going to. If you are stuck at the Kingston airport this is a good book to read.

Final one is a Nora Roberts book. If you say you have never read a Nora Roberts romance novel I would say you are probably lying. Everyone has read at least one at some point. I read Inner Harbor. This is the third in a trilogy. I didn’t know that when I picked up the book but it doesn’t really matter. The story is the same as all Nora Roberts books. The girl and the boy fall for each other in a matter of days, it’s like a season of the Bachelor. There is a big misunderstanding, or secret that comes out. The couple breaks up for about a minute but realizes they need each other and end up living happily ever after. You read a Nora Roberts book when you want a predictable, easy read. The huge issue I have with Nora is the way she dresses her characters in her books. It drives me crazy! It is like she is stuck in 1981. Every time I read one of her books I am completely thrown off when she gets to describing what her characters are wearing. I have to stop and mentally redress them in something that is not hideous. I wish she would work on that part of her books.

Mainly, I’m counting these books because I did read them and I need the books to try and make my goal! I will be getting back to the children’s books now! 

1 comment:

  1. Haha - your Nora Roberts analysis is spot-on. The clothing issue is definitely annoying! And I really liked Just Like Heaven - not as much as the Bridgerton books (which preceded the Smythe-Smith books), but it was a good summer read. Glad you didn't get eaten alive by bugs down there!

    ReplyDelete